Fashion is as fashion does

NorthWest leisure wear

There is a certain ease that comes with living in the Northwest that permeates almost all aspects. From the laid back vibe of the local music scene to the coffee and cargo pants from Mt. Hood to Canon Beach there is an active stillness to life in these parts. This laid back vibe is most clear in the local fashion style that most of my family have adopted called Northwest leisure wear. This look is easy to spot by the comfortable sweat pants or Pajama pants, rain boots or some other work boots, and big bulky sweater. You will notice that Primo, my oldest has adopted this fashion sense int he picture above. I also want to point out that the pockets in his pajama pants are pulled out to really bring some spice to this outfit. I don’t know if it’s the years living in Southern California with the intense pressure to fit in, or just an internal sense of what looks good that keeps me from fully embracing this freeing style choice. I find that I don’t come as comfortably by it as my boy does and I envy him his laid back freedom. Primo likes nothing better than pushing away from the breakfast table, throwing on some puddle jumpers and his Fire truck sweater and getting his outdoor play on. When we try to get him to change into his day clothes he fights it, “This is what papa wears!” he whines. That is true, it is what Papa wears and it is the local uniform of comfort and ease, if not style and high fashion.

Fatherhood Friday at Dad Blogs

7 comments for “Fashion is as fashion does

1. 02/25/2010 at 10:00 pm

That’s awesome. Let him wear whatever he wants as long as he can. On lazy days, my kids wear their P.J.’s all day. They’ll even wear them playing in the backyard.

2. 02/26/2010 at 6:57 am

Comfort over conformity – that’s the way to go. There’s something to be said for the positive impact on kids living somewhere the atmosphere is laid back and unpretentious. Austin’s like that; Houston–not so much.

That’s funny about him whining that daddy wears these. He’s watching you.

3. Jamie
    02/26/2010 at 9:12 am

Wait until he starts wearing socks with sandals! Then you know he has adapted. I also like the idea of letting him express his fashion sense. The day will come all too soon when he actually cares so let him explore now.

4. 02/26/2010 at 11:25 am

Love it. Love it. Love it!

Letting them express their own fasion sense gets harder when it’s painted leather jackets and spiked hair, but it’s all good. Let them be themselves, and they’ll do great!

5. 02/26/2010 at 3:10 pm

I myself managed to put sweatpants on for bed wednesday night and not remove them until this morning. Another SAHD here. Saying hello for FF

6. 02/26/2010 at 4:09 pm

That looks pretty fashionable to me.

7. 02/27/2010 at 10:15 am

All my daughter wants to wear lately is a frilly tutu/skirt – reminds me a bit of Ace Ventura visiting the mental hospital. At least your son is siding with clothes rather than extending “naked time” outdoors – this is also a struggle in our household.

I always go with utility over fashion – a main reason I don’t wear neckties, as they do not perform any sense of function for me. If the clothes are comfortable and perform the task of covering the body for protection and warmth, then he should go for it.

Like George Constanza said, “I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable.”

Comments are closed.