Does God Put Us In Jail?

We were driving around Saturday looking for garage sales and telling the boys that Beautiful and I would be heading to Nebraska this weekend without them to go to Beautiful’s grandpa’s funeral. Primo wanted to know why he wasn’t going and we told him that he was going to stay with Grandma and Papa and that the funeral wasn’t a kid thing, it was for grown ups. Then the tough questions started coming.

Why did grandpa Gary Die?”

Where do people go when they die?”

Does God put them in Jail?”

I was driving and Beautiful was in back with the boys so the questions were directed at her and I was happy to not be the one answering these type of questions for once. It was about time she was on the front line of pre-school curiosity, so I just smiled in the mirror with a look of, tell us honey. Beautiful did the classic buy some time question of “Well primo, were do you think people go when they die?” He said that God put them in Jail. Not sure what Sunday school lesson that was from but Beautiful asked why God would do that. Primo wasn’t really interested in answering that and wanted to know what mom thought. She said she thought people went to heaven when they died and Primo agreed.

These tough questions are coming more often now and reading how other dads like Jack B handle these types of situations is really helpful. If you haven’t read it yet check out his post  Why Do They Want To Kill Us? where he answers the question from his nine year old son while waiting in line at the Israel Independence Day Festival. He talks of not wanting to shred pieces of his sons childhood in answering these questions and so far we haven’t come up against that but I am mindful of it. I guess that is part of childhood though, coming up against these real life situations and needing to find answers and a context for it.

8 comments for “Does God Put Us In Jail?

1. 04/27/2010 at 6:24 am

I’m sorry to hear about your wife’s father. It’s amazing what goes through kids’ minds and what they think to question. When my oldest was 3 I walked in on him sitting in the middle of the room just looking at the walls. When I asked him what he was doing, he just looked up and said, “I’m thinking about stuff.” I walked out and let him go back to thinking.
    .-= Clark Kent’s Lunchbox´s last blog ..Who’s Got Two Thumbs And A Daddy Blog? This Guy =-.

2. 04/27/2010 at 6:33 am

Kids always ask or say the most interesting things. We are not very religious but I am already dreading these questions about God I’m sure to be getting from my little one in the next couple of years. But on a general note how are you all addressing religion w/ your kids? Do you go to church do you teach them all religions?

3. 04/27/2010 at 10:48 am

I have spent hours having these kinds of discussions with my kids. It is not always easy, but important. FWIW, the first that I remember having was when he asked me not to die.

He was about three years old then and barely understood death. Now he has a much greater comprehension of what it means and has since told me that he doesn’t want to die.

That was hard to hear.
    .-= Jack´s last blog ..Why Do They Want To Kill Us? =-.

4. 04/27/2010 at 9:04 pm

I think we are just getting to the point where we will start having tough questions to answer.

Right now, we are answering ‘Why?’ quite often.
    .-= Seattledad (Luke, I am Your Father)´s last blog ..Hammering Man =-.

5. 04/28/2010 at 12:54 am

It’s so funny that so many of us rely on pop-culture (TV) to find answers to these questions. Do we really know what the World’s great religious worldviews have to say? In fact, even if we think we do, we tend to take other’s opinions of what those worldviews are – yet seldom do the heavy lifting for ourselves.

It is easy to discount religion as irrelevant, and for the most part, I would agree – most religions have grown stale. However, understanding the heart of the matter is important. Isn’t it our job, as parents, to provide a foundation for growth and discovery?
    .-= gwalter´s last blog ..On Being Misunderstood =-.

6. Joe
    04/29/2010 at 5:34 am

I am sorry to hear about your families loss. As a minister I have had many experiences talking with children about death, it is never easy.

I was working at a church that had a day care/after school program. One of the 1st graders suddenly died. Talking with kids about why one of their friends passed away and preaching at the child’s funeral was one of the hardest things I have had to do professionally and personally.

I think that these conversations can be healthy for children as they ask questions. I have found that letting them know, we do not know why some people die and some people live and that God (whatever your version of God is) always loves us and always cares for us and wants us all to live a long healthy life.
    .-= Joe´s last blog ..Earth Day is Fun Day =-.

7. 04/29/2010 at 7:02 am

This is a deep subject for many. I found this site to be informative on the matter with concise and easy answers, especially when dealing with young minds: http://watchtower.org/e/200710c/article_01.htm

Hope it helps!
    .-= Luis´s last blog ..What Blog Platform do you use? =-.

Comments are closed.