When I knew Beautiful was the one for me

I didn’t want to go, that’s what I told Jesse that afternoon while we finished up work. It was Halloween and our co-worker was having a party at his house that night. We didn’t have any better plans and braving the downtown crowd that night was not something either us wanted to do. He talked me into it by reminding me about the free drinks, and a quick look in my brother’s closet gave me the 70’s big collar costume that I needed. We drove out together still debating turning around and finding something else to do but for this time I was glad I listened to Jesse unlike the time in Mexico. That is a story for a different time though.

With my drink in hand and my big collar popped I took up my spot at the table with a deck of cards. I was dealing Black Jack from the bottom of the deck and slyly making fun of the girls around the table. I was a jerk and I knew it but that didn’t bother me as much as the girls not knowing that I was making fun of them and laughing it up telling me I was so funny. The night continued like that until another co-worker arrived with her roommates in tow. They were pretty cute in matching black skirts and Mardi Gras masks and they joined us at the table.

Right away she called me out for dealing from the bottom of the deck and when I tried to tease her she came right back over the top with her own sly teasing. I tried to outsmart her and failed miserably. This girl was smart and funny and beautiful and confident. We bantered back and forth and I was in love. I really was. I know how cheesy and cliche it is to talk about love at first sight or knowing this is the one, or even thinking there is a “one”. But I knew, it was an “aha” moment for me that night and I went to great lengths to win her. I bought a cell phone so I could be reached. I befriended my co-worker, her roommate whom I didn’t particularly like but now love, so I would be invited over. She bantered with me and I knew, I pursued her and wore her down until she knew too.  We were married within a year and now six year married I love that banter even more.

Part of the Fatherhood Friday group of blogging Fathers and Mothers over at Dad Blogs. Please click on the image to the left to find more great writing from other bloggers trying to make sense of this whole parenting thing

16 comments for “When I knew Beautiful was the one for me

1. 05/21/2010 at 12:05 am

awww. I love stories like this! And that she gave you shit for dealing from the bottom!
    .-= Kristi Maristi´s last blog ..Throw-Back Thursday =-.

Portlanddad Reply:

She might write about it on Monday but she says that since there was no attraction to me she felt no nerves and was the best, most sassy version of herself.

2. 05/21/2010 at 2:51 am

here’s to strong women!

Portlanddad Reply:

Here here!

3. Que
    05/21/2010 at 2:53 am

It’s always interesting to hear how people met and how everything played out. Life is good.
    .-= Que´s last blog ..A conversation you don’t hear when you have less than 2 small children =-.

4. 05/21/2010 at 3:57 am

The lengths that us as men will go to for a lady. Sounds like the efforts paid off beautifully.
    .-= Edathomedad´s last blog ..Just Frank. =-.

Portlanddad Reply:

I rearranged a lot but it paid off for sure

5. 05/21/2010 at 4:49 am

Great story..

Portlanddad Reply:

Thanks man

6. 05/21/2010 at 5:05 am

Wow. She met you cheating at cards in a 70s outfit and you still won her over. Nice work.
    .-= james@doodadblog´s last blog ..doodad wrote it: And will you be having the nitrates or the botulism with that bacon, sir? =-.

Portlanddad Reply:

I would question her taste, but you can’t discount a polyester big collar for drawing in the ladies

7. 05/21/2010 at 11:00 am

Great Story…I too have been married for 6 years, and everyday is as fun as the first…Every road has bumps, but it sounds like you found the right person to travel that road with…All the best, great post.
    .-= Doug @ Daddy’s Tired´s last blog ..143: Fatherhood Friday, What am I supposed to do now? =-.

8. Jamie
    05/21/2010 at 12:09 pm

You can’t beat a polyester big collar or an intellegent, funny, handsome, creative, lovely, insightful, and generally brilliant man either. Kate was smart enough to get caught by you.

9. 05/21/2010 at 8:33 pm

hah i love how you ‘wore her down.’
    .-= Apok´s last blog ..Andre the Giant Legs =-.

10. 05/21/2010 at 8:44 pm

Hey, nice story! My wife of 17 years and I initially bonded talking about Elvis Costello and Sesame Street at a co-worker’s birthday lunch in late 1990 or early ’91…

Rich
    .-= JnCsDad217´s last blog ..44–The Big Catch Up Entry =-.

11. 05/22/2010 at 8:14 am

Very good story man.
    .-= Chris (@tessasdad)´s last blog ..Fatherhood Friday: World Cup Fantasy Tournament for Charity =-.