Project half the man I used to be

I have been feeling exhausted lately and walking around with a mild headache all day. It all started Monday when I started this diet, well not really diet just better eating and cutting out sugar. I’m still drinking the coffee in the morning and water all day but I am feeling the effects of that junk clearing out of my body. I have been wanting to do more to eat better, exercise, and lose weight but it wasn’t until I was silly enough to say something about it while talking to John at Daddy Yo Blog, and Chris at Papa Rocks on the Band of SAHD podcast that others started holding me to it. So I start the process again, and it has been rough going. When I feel like crap I parent like crap and unfortunately it’s not just me that pays but the boys. They pay with my lack of patience and my lack of participation. Why can’t they see that I am doing this in part for them, so that I can continue to keep up with them as they get bigger. Little kids don’t work that way, you don’t get grace in the moment for the greater good, but the good thing is that they have short memories for my short comings. They are quick to forgive and we move on to playing hide and seek and I keep drinking the water and try to keep up. This lethargy will pass and the energy will return as long as I stay away from those voodoo doughnuts in the picture above.

8 comments for “Project half the man I used to be

1. 07/29/2010 at 6:21 am

Hey man,

I think we’ve both avoided this conversation since we announced it on the podcast. I have to step up to the plate and start doing the same thing.

I’m not dieting though. I don’t eat very poorly and I’ve cut out soda and high fructose corn syrup and stuff. I just need to exercise more.

We’ll get through it together like we said on the show. Hope your day is better today!
    Chris (@tessasdad)´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday – It’s my 150th post

2. 07/29/2010 at 6:31 am

Good luck! Once the crap clears out I’m sure you’ll feel a million times better. The process isn’t fun though. 😛

These guys have also inspired me to do the same (i wrote a post about it yesterday). It’s awesome that we have this support network of fellow dads going through similar processes.
    twistedxtian´s last blog post ..My Dads Helping Dads Challenge

3. 07/29/2010 at 8:24 am

Ah, Voodoo donuts. Nothing better than bacon on a maple bar. Good luck to you!
    Booyah’s Momma´s last blog post ..Im SO getting a motorcycle when I grow up

4. 07/29/2010 at 8:41 am

Good luck. I’m about to do something similar. I need people to keep me in check to help me lose the baby weight, if you will.
    PJ Mullen´s last blog post ..Best jammies ever

5. 07/29/2010 at 10:32 am

That bacon doughnut looks amazing…. (I know you were all thinking it)

Good Luck!
    Eric – BHF´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday- NICU Flashback

6. 07/29/2010 at 1:20 pm

I have to say I’m on board. It’s that whole accountability thing that I need to keep me going. I need to drop a few pounds, but I think a good crew of guys who can keep me in check would be helpful. So, I’ll watch your back (or love handles) and you watch mine, deal?

By the way, those donuts look awful . . . (it hurt saying that, but it’s for the greater good).
    writtendad´s last blog post ..Bedhead and the Duckbutt Kid

7. 07/29/2010 at 1:26 pm

Is that a Bacon Maple donut? Ok, focus Seattledad.

Good luck to you. I have been pondering the same issues for quite some time and need to shape up myself. I have thought about using my readers to hold me to it too.

Sounds like a post. As soon as I have the energy.
    Seattledad (Luke, I am Your Father)´s last blog post ..Pete Seeger Kids Album Giveaway

8. 08/03/2010 at 10:45 am

I’m currently in the process of losing 10 pounds. Using the iPhone app LoseIt has really helped me to manage my diet and exercise goals.
    Mocha Dad´s last blog post ..Guest Post- The Value of a Doll