It’s hard to rely on my good intentions

Good morning daddy!

I have intentions, good ones even and I am trying to follow through on them. I am not a morning person, not in the slightest but the boys get up early and they go from sleepy eyed snugglers to a full sprint in about 10 minutes. I on the other hand need at least an hour and 2 cups of coffee before I can knock the sleep out of my eyes. In an effort to find a meeting place I have started to get up earlier than the boys. By started I mean this morning I got up before the boys, so this is not some observation of how the process is going in case you were impressed. There is plenty of time to give up, but like I said, I have intentions.

Since I’m not a morning person I feel like the morning controls me and I end up reacting to it. The boys are off and running and because I’m not ready to deal I get frustrated faster and see the boy’s energy as an affront. Like their alertness is just their way of sticking it to me. So I want to be more proactive with the morning by getting up earlier and being ready for the day, ready for the boys. This morning I got up and rode my bike over to the local gym and signed up for a 7 day trial. By getting up and out of the house with an activity maybe I can speed up the waking process and even get in some much needed exercise. So that is what I started this morning, turning good intentions into a habit. I heard it takes 30 days to develop a habit so day 1 in this habit building is down and 29 to go.

17 comments for “It’s hard to rely on my good intentions

1. 01/31/2011 at 9:33 am

Good for you buddy. I’m awful in the morning although since I’ve had the sleep apnea addressed it’s been much better.
    Chris (@tessasdad)´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday- Color NOOK

Portlanddad Reply:

Thanks, glad the mask is starting to pay off

2. 01/31/2011 at 9:37 am

Do it JR! I am hitting the P90X challenge soon and need to get my fat @ss in shape. Keep up the good work, and you will find the energy will be there the more you do it! And maybe a little more sleep would help.

Portlanddad Reply:

Yeah sleep is an important part, and working out helps you sleep better too

3. 01/31/2011 at 12:16 pm

good luck! I am NOT a morning person. I am a night owl. I dread the adjustments I’ll have to make to my sleep if I’m ever a mom. yikes.
    andygirl´s last blog post ..conversations with a three year old

Portlanddad Reply:

Yeah kids are a drag, they make you change so much

4. 01/31/2011 at 2:26 pm

Good on you. And good luck solidifying that habbit. What a great one to have if you get there.
    Seattledad´s last blog post ..The Very Hungry Three Year Old

Portlanddad Reply:

Yeah I think this will be a good habit to keep

5. 01/31/2011 at 7:51 pm

I’m with you, man. We SAHD’s need to take care of ourselves.

I started P90X a while back to, but lately I’m more about Tim Hortons than Tony Horton.

Trying to get back in the fitness groove too, though.

Portlanddad Reply:

Yeah got to put the donut down for it to work, that just seems too hard

6. 01/31/2011 at 10:32 pm

Good job, keep it up. I am not a morning person and getting all my village up when they aren’t morning people isn’t much fun. I try to wake up with a positive attitude so it rubs off on everyone. Most of the time not so much at least in the early morning hours.
    Chris´s last blog post ..Sexual Abuse – A Man’s Story

Portlanddad Reply:

Fake it till you make it

7. Jamie
    02/01/2011 at 9:12 am

I agree it takes time to form that “morning person” attitude. I was NOT a morning person when I was young but then I started working and after a while I got so used to it I became a morning person. Myron was ALWAYS a morning person and now that he doesn’t work he has become the grump. Okay I mean more of a grump than usual! YOU GO James!!!

Portlanddad Reply:

Thanks Jamie, I hope I get there too, 2 days down

8. 02/02/2011 at 8:40 pm

Sounds like a great plan. But as an experienced early morning riser, for my surfing, i will forewarn you that you must give yourself adequate time for the 2 cups of joe to kick in prior to jazzercising. I would just sit and watch the waves untill the coffee kicked in full blast, then jump in….
    Surfer Jay´s last blog post ..Ant Poison- Yummy For Her Tummy